Friday 20 January 2012

New to this... #3

Please accept my apologies for the cryptic message in the previous post, #2. What I was trying to say was that I have been drawing to take up my time in between the spasms and stuff, when my left-hand is working properly. I've even started to use my right-hand too-[though just for filling-in with dots]. I started in 2007. 

It gets pretty damned boring-[and depressing] in a hospital bed, in a shared ward with 3-other patients each with nothing better to do with themselves than moan and groan, go to sleep, get woken up by the meal-trays çlunking' on the bed frames, eat, go to the bathroom, sleep, and be treated like a box full of pin-cushions at a garage/yard sale by the team of interns on their respective rounds at sunrise and sunset - day after day. 

So, when my wife suggested to me to bring me some pens and a sketch book.. the best I could muster was a muffled-[tongue-cramping!]-OK. I was trying to summon some control of my motor-functions, but it was painfully funny to my beautiful family. Pretty soon I found a part of me that could 'take me away' from reality, for a small part of each day..


Back when I started to draw, I was using a lid from an anti-persperant-'roll-on'-deodorant stick to form circles. The circles matched perfectly to the '12th-grid-line', of each page of my drawing book. Each marked-out grid-square was 5mm, so I was able to do circles of 60mm-diameter to my hearts-content!

I came up with a few weird' and wonderful designs while I was in hospital. It kept my mind off the daily-grind though. I even had a Doctor ask me to do a drawing  - so taken was he-[I was shocked?] , but I happily obliged his request. I presented it to him when it was finished with a message on the back. 'Thank you'.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment