Thursday 14 February 2013

Happy Valentines Day to You & Yours!


Well, it is Valentines Day - I wish whoever should read this post today - for you to have a wonderful day! ..And I hope that you all get to share it with your significant others too! I think any opportunity to share love, and be loved is important. As important and sacred as life itself. We must take time to "smell-the-roses", I will share my St.Valentines-Day story with you.


My Valentines Day this year (2013), started out with a... "BANG!"...Scratch ...Screech ...Thud! My family's 13yo black Lab "McKenzie" - beautiful, gentle, loving - having a fit - a panicked dog unable to stand on his all fours for the first time (like this)-in his life. Crazed commotion woke me up! I wasn't sure what was happening at first, I couldn't see him. But, I could hear him - in the faint light of the early morning, his motion eventually awakened my 16yo son JD, too! As we both looked into the wardrobe, we saw a helpless animal trying to make to-stand-up! 


We got him settled - eventually! A dog this old - has a high risk of having an "episode" like this, right! Even so - it bloody scared me and JD. After we cleaned him up, we gave him a 'once-over' and helped him over to his food-bowl - not hungry, ok. His water-bowl next. No. That's ok, so I thought I might take him for a walk outside, then. To get some fresh air (me too!). We got as far as the grass - it was damp with "dew", and "Mack" lost his step... And again... Another stumble. so, I called JD out to help him with his stride and gait. He walked alongside "Mack", like a tug-boat ushers a bulk-carrier around a harbour. We managed to walk him for no more than 30-paces, before he stumbled to his right. Drooped-over he looked like he wasn't "there".


We both looked at each other and my eyes welled-up. I was witnessing my mate - our family's companion - take a 'turn", I said to JD that 'I think he's had a "Stroke". So, we gently turned McKenzie back, into the house. Back to his favourite Pillow/Cushion - and JD, layed down with him on the floor. I went into the bedroom and had a moment to myself - sobbing. I was coming to the hard realisation, that my dog is on borrowed time! My wife J, and I had a quick "heart-to-heart" with our boys - TJ, JD, and LE. We made a safe place in the car for Mack to be comfortable, and we rang the Vet...


We made the dash to the Vet's. About a 20-minute drive. We were ushered straight into the clinic - and met the lady Vet, Erin. She was so gentle with McKenzie, and it was like he just melted into her hands - like their was a "magic-power" between them. The Sick & the Healer. It was a special moment for all of us! After a few tense minutes of Erin looking over every inch of Mack's frame and muscles. Down on the ground with him, she was like a 'mother' - gentle! All-the-while-she was whispering to him - calming him (and us too!), but still checking, feeling, analysing. Then after she was finished - she stood up. Well, she said... I want to take a blood sample, if that's ok? ...Yes, it was ok.


Afterwards, we got the news. It seems as though our hunch was right - a "Stroke". Somewhat to be expected, but never the less - a shock to 'our' system! We all had a little sob, again. But, Erin said .."There is some good news from all this. McKenzie's blood work-up is excellent"! His Heart, is in good shape. His lungs are fine, no fluid. Liver, great. Kidneys, good. He is in terrific condition for a dog of his years-(13+). We were in a kind of weird space! Happy-sad!

MacKensie is our hero! He does have a facial growth/tumour, which we'll have to treat palliatively, and he has "wonky" back legs from the 'stroke' too. But, we get to be blessed by a beautiful, black (& gray)-puppy for a while longer! However long that time is - we don't know. We just know that today was not his day to say goodbye to us!

The love of an animal is a blessing! 
Happy Valentines-Day, Mackenzie!







1 comment:

  1. This story was very touching my friend. McKenzie is a beautiful dog. Thankfully the blood work came back clear! You're right when you say the love of an animal is a blessing. Happy Valentine's Day to you, your family, and McKenzie.

    ReplyDelete